Devin Doyle practices intellectual property law with a focus on complex patent and copyright litigation. Devin is an experienced advocate who has represented clients before the Ontario courts, the Federal Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Prior to joining Aitken Klee LLP, Devin was awarded the prestigious Harold G. Fox Scholarship whereby he worked in leading barristers’ chambers in London, England. As the 2012 Fox Scholar, Devin honed his litigation expertise while working alongside some of Europe’s top barristers on a wide array of contentious matters in U.K. courts and international arbitral tribunals.
Devin was previously engaged at a national firm, focusing on patent and copyright litigation. He played a significant role in numerous intellectual property proceedings, including those before the Federal Courts and the Copyright Board of Canada.
Graduating in the top 4% of his class at Osgoode Hall Law School, Devin holds the distinction of earning the most academic prizes of any Osgoode Hall graduate in his year. Devin sharpened his natural aptitude in advocacy by winning 1st prize in both the 2011 Harold G. Fox Canadian Intellectual Property Moot and the 2010 Corporate/Securities Law Moot. While at Osgoode Hall, Devin volunteered with the Ontario Justice Education Network, Osgoode’s Community and Legal Aid Services Program, the Osgoode Mooting Society, and the Osgoode Mentor Program.
Prior to law school, Devin secured his Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Ottawa’s Telfer School of Management, graduating magna cum laude. He subsequently spent a year working in Kumamoto, Japan.
- Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2011
- Honours Bachelor of Commerce, Specialization in Finance (magna cum laude), University of Ottawa, 2007
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in a trial and redetermination hearing in the Federal Court, securing damages under the PM(NOC) Regulations in relation to its version of the blockbuster drug Effexor XR® (2014 FC 248, 2014 FC 634, and 2017 FC 526)
- Represented the Canadian Generic Pharmaceutical Association as intervener in an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada (2015 SCC 20)
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in securing summary judgment on preliminary issues in an action relating to its version of Viagra® (2015 FCA 257)
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in opposing a motion to strike its claim for damages relating to the blockbuster hypertension drug Norvasc® (2013 FC 1066; aff’d 2014 FCA 244)
- Representing Anova Foods, LLC and Export Packers Co. Ltd. in a patent infringement action involving a method of making smoked seafood (Sea Delight Canada LLC et al. v. Anova Food, LLC et al., T-1762-13)
- Represented W.L. Gore & Associates in a patent infringement and validity action involving prosthetic vascular graft technology (Bard Peripheral Vascular, Inc. et al. v. W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc. et al., T-2105-13)
- Represented Two-Way Media Ltd. in a patent infringement action involving streaming technology for broadcasting audio and video over the Internet (Two-Way Media Ltd v. Bell Canada et al., T-809-14)
- Represented Unilever Canada Inc. in a patent infringement and validity action involving the formulation of anti-dandruff personal care products (The Procter & Gamble Company et al. v. Unilever Canada Inc., T-1751-13)