Michael Crinson is one of Canada’s most experienced IP trial counsel.
Mike has been counsel on five separate trials in the past decade and has been counsel on numerous other patent infringement actions involving biotechnological, chemical, mechanical, electrical, bio-technical and bio-medical subject matter. Mike is very experienced in all types of intellectual property litigation, including trade secrets, trademark and copyright infringement and validity proceedings, and inventorship and ownership disputes. He was counsel in a precedent-setting decision that found reverse confusion to be actionable under Canadian trade-mark law; he also argued in the first case in the Federal Court to open the door to a preliminary trial on the issue of claim construction prior to the main trial on patent infringement and validity.
Mike has appeared as both trial and appellate counsel before the Federal, Ontario and Alberta courts in a variety of proceedings often in parallel with proceedings in jurisdictions such as Europe and the United States.
Mike is recognized for his innovative approach to achieving optimal results for his clients.
Mike has published widely in the Canadian Bar Association’s Intellectual Property section, presented talks at the Annual Meetings of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and chaired several industry forums including the Canadian Law and Technology Forum.
Mike began his working life as a research scientist at a pharmaceutical company, and then as a biochemistry, microbiology and biotechnology instructor at Brock University in Canada.
- A & W Food Services Canada Inc. v. McDonald’s Restaurants of Canada (T-2023-01)
- Canamould Extrusions Ltd. v. Driangle Inc. (A-162-03)
- SNF Inc. v. Ciba-BASF (T-1749-11)
- Calgon Carbon Corp. v. North Bay (City) (A-17-05/A320-05)
- Mycogen Plant Science, Inc. v. Bayer Bioscience N.V., Monsanto Technology LLC and Syngenta Participations AG (T-1524-08/T-1569-08/T-1581-08)
- Realsearch Inc. v. Valon Kone Brunette Ltd. (T-1300-02)
- United States of America v. Friedland (C30309 Ont. C.A.)
- Monsanto Co. v. Canada (Commissioner of Patents) (T-805-99)
- IAM Patent 1000, Canada
- The Legal 500 Canada (Intellectual Property)
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law), 2015-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell, Distinguished® Peer Review Rated
- LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1997
- M.Sc. (Biophysics), University of Guelph, 1991
- B.Sc. (Biochemistry), University of Dundee, 1988
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Past Chair, Basics of Law Committee, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Co-author, “The imitation game,” The Lawyers Weekly, March 2016
- Co-author, “Science v. Sales,” The Lawyers Weekly, July 2015