Devin is an experienced trial and appellate lawyer who represents clients in complex intellectual property and international trade litigation. Devin has appeared before the Federal Court of Appeal, Federal Court of Canada, Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
Before joining Aitken Klee LLP, Devin was awarded the prestigious Harold G. Fox Scholarship where he worked in leading barristers’ chambers in London, England. Devin honed his litigation expertise working with Europe’s top barristers on a wide array of contentious matters in U.K. courts and international arbitral tribunals.
Devin graduated in the top 4% of his class at Osgoode Hall Law School, and holds the distinction of earning the most academic prizes of any graduate in his year. Prior to law school, Devin obtained an Honours Bachelor of Commerce, graduating magna cum laude from the University of Ottawa’s Telfer School of Management, before spending a year working in Kumamoto, Japan.
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in a patent infringement and validity trial and appeal relating to drugs for treating multiple sclerosis (Teva v Pharmascience, 2020 FC 1158; affirmed 2022 FCA 2)
- Successfully represented voestalpine Tubulars, an Austrian producer of steel goods, in injury proceedings before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (Oil Country Tubular Goods, NQ-2021-006)
- Successfully represented Borusan, a Turkish steel producer, on judicial review from a Canada Border Services Agency investigation into allegations of dumping (Algoma Tubes Inc. v. Canada (Attorney General), 2022 FCA 89)
- Represented Paid Search Engine Tools, LLC in a patent infringement and validity case against Google (PSET v Google et al, 2021 FC 1435)
- Successfully represented Pharmascience Inc. on appeal from summary trial concerning patent infringement and the doctrine of ex turpi causa (Pfizer Canada ULC v. Pharmascience Inc., 2020 FCA 55)
- Represented the patentee, Mr. Betser-Zilevitch, in an infringement and validity trial against PetroChina Canada Ltd. (Betser-Zilevitch v. PetroChina Canada Ltd., 2021 FC 85)
- Represented exporters of pasta products on judicial review from a Canadian International Trade Tribunal decision concerning injury from dumping and subsidizing (AGT Food and Ingredients et al v Canadian Pasta Manufacturers Association, et al, 2019 FCA 229)
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in securing a damages award of $105 million (Teva Canada Ltd v Pfizer Canada Inc 2017 FC 526 Zinn J on remand from 2016 FCA 161 var’g 2014 FC 248 and reasons re pre-judgment interest 2014 FC 634.)
- Represented the Canadian Generic Pharmaceutical Association as intervener in an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada (2015 SCC 20)
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in securing summary judgment on preliminary issues in an action relating to its version of Viagra® (2015 FCA 257)
- Successfully represented Teva Canada Limited in opposing a motion to strike its claim for damages relating to the blockbuster hypertension drug Norvasc® (2013 FC 1066; aff’d 2014 FCA 244)
- Represented Anova Foods, LLC and Export Packers Co. Ltd. in a patent infringement action involving a method of making smoked seafood (Sea Delight Canada LLC et al. v. Anova Food, LLC et al., T-1762-13)
- Successfully represented W.L. Gore & Associates in a patent infringement and validity action involving prosthetic vascular graft technology (Bard Peripheral Vascular, Inc. et al. v. W.L. Gore & Associates, Inc. et al., T-2105-13)
- Represented Two-Way Media Ltd. in a patent infringement action involving streaming technology for broadcasting audio and video over the Internet (Two-Way Media Ltd v. Bell Canada et al.,T-809-14)
- Represented Unilever Canada Inc. in a patent infringement and validity action involving the formulation of anti-dandruff personal care products (The Procter & Gamble Company et al. v. Unilever Canada Inc.,T-1751-13)
- Juris Doctor, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2011
- Honours Bachelor of Commerce, Specialization in Finance (magna cum laude), University of Ottawa, 2007
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association