Aleem’s practice focuses on complex intellectual property litigation. He has particular expertise in representing pharmaceutical clients in proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations, including s.8 actions for damages. Aleem has appeared before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Prior to joining Aitken Klee, Aleem completed his articles at a well-respected national law firm in Ottawa, where he worked in the intellectual property and corporate groups. During law school, Aleem represented clients before the Landlord and Tenant Board and the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board and worked at the Office of Patented Medicines and Liaison.
- Successfully represented Pharmascience Inc. and Laboratoire Riva Inc. in a summary trial, trial, and appeals resulting in the dismissal of Eli Lilly’s claim of patent infringement involving the drug tadalafil (2020 FC 816; 2022 FC 1398; 2023 FCA 125)
- Successfully represented Pharmascience Inc. in a trial and appeal under the PM(NOC) Regulations regarding the multiple sclerosis drug fampridine (2020 FC 621; 2022 FCA 143)
- Represented Teva Canada Limited in a trial involving the drug paliperidone palmitate (T-353-18)
- Acted for Paid Search Engine Tools in a patent infringement action against Google Canada (T-40-18).
- Represented Teva Canada Limited before the Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal regarding the drug desvenlafaxine (T-1399-15; A-283-17)
- Represented Pharmascience Inc. in actions for damages under s.8 of the PM(NOC) Regulations) relating to pregabalin (T-1434-14) and zolpidem (T-815-17)
- Represented Teva Canada Limited in an action for damages for patent infringement relating to the antibiotic drug levofloxacin (T-2175-04; T-2056-11; A-244-16; A-274-16)
- Represented W.L. Gore & Associates in a patent validity and infringement action relating to prosthetic vascular graft technology (T-2105-13)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Juris Doctor, University of Toronto (2013)
- Honours Bachelor of Science, Science and Business, University of Waterloo (2008)